Christmas Vacation at the Inn
Northern Vermont is a wonderful place to celebrate Christmas and enjoy a Christmas Vacation. While we are closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day to let our staff enjoy the holidays with their families, we encourage you to join us for the vacation week between Christmas Day and New Years.
The Christmas Holidays are a busy time at the inn and in the Montgomery / Jay Peak area - be sure to make your Christmas reservations early to avoid the disappointment of your favorite room being booked!
A 'White Christmas' in Vermont
Snow, snow, snow... While we can't guarantee a 'White Christmas', the chances of having one in the Montgomery / Jay Peak area of Vermont are pretty good. The Montgomery / Jay Peak region is one of the snowiest vacation destinations in the eastern United States. Jay Peak averages an annual natural snowfall of 355 inches - the greatest annual snowfall on the Eastern Seaboard!
Christmas Dinner at our Country Inn
Hoping to enjoy a Christmas getaway with a delightful dinner with all the trimmings? Why not join us at the Phineas Swann for Christmas Dinner and enjoy all the fun without all the hassle!
On the day after Christmas, Dec. 26 (Boxing Day for our English and Canadian guests), at 6:30 pm, we will be serving a traditional Turkey dinner with all the fixin's, including Dressing, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Cranberry Sauce, Mixed Salad, soup, and dessert.
Make your Christmas dinner reservations when you book your stay with us. $75 per person includes the four-course dinner, one glass of wine, and tax. Children under 8 are $35 per child. Gratuity is separate.
New Year's Eve Dinner at the Inn
A four course dinner with champagne toast is served at the inn on New Year's Eve for $100 per person, including tax (gratuity is separate). The menu is posted as we approach the New Year's holiday.
Build Your Own Christmas Vacation Package
We want your Christmas vacation to be exactly the way you want it - that's why we created the Phineas Swann's 'Build Your Own Package' option. Visit our Build Your Own Package page to broswe the available choices. Choose Romantic add-on's, like champagne, flowers, and chocolates, Spa Experiences, like a massage, or Outdoor Adventures like dogsledding, canoeing, and kayaking.
Fun Things to Do During Your Christmas Getaway
There are lots of fun things to do in the Montgomery / Jay Peak area during your Christmas Vacation at the Phineas Swann. If you love the outdoors, book an outdoor adventure with Montgomery Adventures, the area's premier guide service which offers Dog Sledding, Snowshoeing, Ice Fishing, and more! Jay Peak Resort is only 8 miles away, so if skiing or snowboarding is your passion, you'll find the best ski conditions in the Northeast right here!
Here are a few of our favorite winter vacation ideas:
- Dog Sledding with Montgomery Adventures - Montgomery Adventures is the area's premier adventure guide service, offering Dogsledding and a variety of other winter activities. Dogsledding rides last approximately one hour. Dogsledding offerings include: Standard Sled Rides - tailored to your preferences (scenic, exciting, or VERY exciting) this trip takes you past frozen lakes and ponds on a wooded trail which opens up to a spectacular view of Jay Peak; Moonlight/Starlight Rides - Mother Nature's answer to the Roller Coaster, this adrenaline-pumping ride is a spectacular way to experience the Vermont landscape at night! Kids' Rides - kids can try dogsledding in a very controlled atmosphere while parents watch them on the ride. Perfect for photo ops for future holiday cards!
- Skiing at Jay Peak Resort - With over 380 skiable acres and an additional 100 acres of glades, a day of skiing at Jay Peak promises lots of excitement. While there, take a ride on Jay Peak’s aerial tramway (Jay Peak Resort is the only Vermont ski mountain to offer one). The views are gorgeous. Those who go to the top of Jay Peak are rewarded with a special treat -- the vista opens up to a 180 degree view of the Montreal, Canada skyline.
- Taking a Horse-Drawn Sleigh Ride - Nothing evokes an image of a traditional New England winter more than sleigh rides through the farm lands of northern Vermont. Nearby Lajoie Stables offers many types of sleigh rides, from large family get togethers to a romantic evening sleigh ride for two. They have four New England style sleighs to choose from. Evening rides, star lit rides, or fun day time rides are all available. The Lajoie sleigh ride begins in serene forest land, and circles through their Christmas tree grove and into the tranquility of the open fields. Lajoie accepts Visa/MasterCard. Reservations are required. (802) 644-5347
- Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing at Hazen's Notch - just a hop, skip, and a jump away (right here in Montgomery Center) is Hazen's Notch, a fabulous conservation land trust that maintains 40 miles of trails on 2,500 acres for Cross-Country Skiing and Snowshoeing in winter. You can rent x-country skis and snowshoes in town.
- Playing in the Snow - there are plenty of places to enjoy a spontaneous snow ball fight, build a snowman, or make snow angels. After some outdoor fun, warm up by the fireplace in our living room, and enjoy complimentary hot cocoa, hot tea, coffee, and snacks (all day long - not just at 'tea time'!)
- Hot Tubbing under the Stars - as you plan your days, don't forget to reserve some time in our outdoor Hot Tub. Located steps from the Main Inn and the Carriage House Suites, the Hot Tub is ideally located for an evening dip under the magnificent Vermont winter sky.